Binfer Technology for Maritime
Improving Reliability of Data Delivery
Bernhard Schulte ship management (BSM), alongside their ERP provider, MariApps, needed a way to securely, quickly and reliably replicate large sets of data between their ships out in the sea and their central office on the shore. The data needed to be transferred frequently and needed to be stored in the centralized database.
BSM’s main mechanism for data transfer was email attachments, and due to the nature of BSM’s operations, it created a number of challenges for effective data transfer:
- Unstable internet connectivity on the ships was adding expenses caused by re-transmission of interrupted data.
- Interruption in ship operations caused by unreliable data delivery.
- DVDs with ship software updates were getting damaged in transit.
- Expensive development cost in developing, maintaining and managing data transmission code.
Binfer’s data synchronization module helped alleviate all these pain points. The solution was deployed within days. Replication rules were quickly setup to synchronize data between vessels and shore. No central email servers, no size limits, no restarting transfers from zero. With Binfer’s data synchronization offering, BSM accomplished the following results:
- Reduced transfer time by 50%.
- Improved ship operations significantly by keeping information updated.
- Enabled ships to transfer documents and attachments which were not possible before due to email size restrictions.